TORONTO – No one is yet eligible for new federal pandemic benefits, Omicron reduced cases in South Africa, and a packaged salad is being recalled. Here’s what you need to know to start your day.
1. Benefits of the pandemic: As new restrictions sweep across the country just days before Christmas, a new benefit meant to help workers is keeping them out of support because of its specific wording.
2. ‘Deeply Concerned’: Emergency Preparedness Minister Bill Blair said the growing number of cases in Quebec and across Canada is of great concern and that the federal government will work with the province.
3. Cases in South Africa: Health experts say South Africa’s notable drop in new COVID-19 cases in recent days could signal that the country’s dramatic rise in Omicrons has passed its peak. medical experts said.
4. NHL players: The NHL did not send players to the Beijing Olympics over concerns that the pandemic would disrupt the tournament’s ability to complete a full season.
5. Salad recall: The Canadian Food Inspection Agency said Fresh Express is recalling some of its salad kits and products due to possible listeria contamination.
One more thing…
Vacation plan: With just a few days until Christmas, here’s an updated list of pandemic restrictions by province and territory.