TORONTO – Conservatives oppose partial virtual Parliament, Atlantic Canada faces a major storm, and BC evacuees may be eligible for financial assistance. Here’s what you need to know to start your day.
1. Mixed Parliament: Conservative MPs will today oppose the government’s proposal to return to mixed form in the House of Commons, which has allowed MPs to virtually participate in proceedings during the COVID pandemic. -19.
2. East Coast Weather: Last week, a devastating storm swept through BC and caused massive amounts of flooding and evacuations. Now, Atlantic Canada is facing a hurricane caused by the same type of atmospheric conditions.
3. Evacuation assistance: Eligible evacuees from BC’s flood-ravaged communities will receive a $2,000 per household grant through the Canadian Red Cross, the government announced Tuesday.
4. Gasoline price: US President Joe Biden on Tuesday authorized the release of oil reserves in the hope of curbing high energy costs, but a Canadian expert says it will not be enough to turn around rising gas prices and in fact may lead to a small increase.
5. Wealth of the Generation: A study of high net worth households has found that children from many affluent families are receiving “significant grants” from their parents for post-secondary education, a home first and new businesses.
One more thing…
Asteroid navigation: A NASA spacecraft purposely crashed into an asteroid preparing to launch this week.