5 things to know today: First Canadian tank lands in Poland
The first battle tank from Canada bound for Ukraine landed in Poland, supporters banded together to help sailors stranded for months in the port of Quebec, and Beyonce became a much-honed artist. greatest in Grammys history. Here’s what you need to know to start your day.
1. The first tank appeared: The first Leopard 2 tank that Canada aided Ukrainian forces has arrived in Poland. At the end of January, Canada pledged to send 4 battle tanks to Ukraine to support their continued war against Russia.
2. Sailor trapped: Seafarers’ advocacy groups are expressing concern for 11 sailors who are spending a harsh winter in Quebec aboard three tugboats that have been detained for months at the port of Trois-Rivières.
3. Queen Bey: Beyonce won the 32nd Grammy Award, the most in history, and Harry Styles won Album of the Year at the top music awards ceremony of the year in Los Angeles.
4. Strong earthquake: A magnitude 7.8 earthquake shook large swaths of Turkiye and Syria early Monday morning, toppling hundreds of buildings and killing more than 1,300 people.
5. Poaching probe: A nearly two-year investigation resulted in elk hunting convictions for six people and a motel in Red Lake in northwestern Ontario.
One more thing…
Muscular Disorders: A new study highlights the growing prevalence of muscular dystrophy among young Canadian men.
Research says muscular dystrophy is an obsession with the size and definition of muscles, leading to distress and ‘significant motivation’ for muscles. Some of the symptoms include forced exercise, specific diets to build and maintain muscle, use of drugs and substances that enhance appearance and performance, and disruptions in daily life. (Timothy/Pexels)