Alec Baldwin’s ‘Rust’ Manslaughter Charges Downgraded
Alec Baldwin no longer have to face years behind bars regarding shoot dead people by cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, when the Santa Fe district attorney’s office announced Monday that it was downgrading involuntary manslaughter charges against both him and rust the armor-clad Hannah Gutierrez-Reed.
Baldwin faces a mandatory minimum prison sentence of five years if convicted under New Mexico’s gun laws passed months after the gun he was holding was released on set. rust, killing Hutchins. Instead, he and Gutierrez-Reed now face a maximum sentence of 18 months in prison.
District Attorney Heather Brewer . Spokesperson said in a statement that the prosecution downgraded the charges “to avoid further distracting Mr. Baldwin and his attorneys.”
Brewer added: “The prosecution’s priority is to ensure justice, not to ensure chargeable hours for big city attorneys.
On October 21, 2021, Baldwin pointed a .45-caliber Colt pistol at Hutchins during a rehearsal on the set of Santa Fe rust. bald said he didn’t pull the trigger of the gun that fatally shot Hutchins in the chest, although an FBI report indicated the weapon could not be fired without pulling the trigger.
Baldwin’s attorneys had previously argued that the gun law was misapplied because it wasn’t passed until 2022, months after the shootings. in one February 10th to applyBaldwin’s attorney Luke Nikas wrote, “Prosecutors made a fundamental legal error in charging Mr. Baldwin under a version of the weapons enhancement act that did not exist on the day of the accident.”
Jason Bowles, attorney for Gutierrez-Reed, speak New York Times that the decision to downgrade the charges “reflects good moral standards and is true to the truth and the law.”
Despite the newly downgraded charges against Baldwin, recent court filings appear to suggest the prosecution is preparing for a fight. State of application revised list of witnesses for a preliminary hearing last Thursday attended by Matthew Hutchins, Halyna’s widower. Last month, the billing document was made public criticized Baldwin for allegedly “intentionally disregarding safety,” including a gun training session with Gutierrez-Reed, where the actor was allegedly “distracted and talking on cell phones with his family.”
Manufacturers of rust announced on February 14 that Production will resume this spring. Hutchins Estate reached an agreement with Baldwin and the producers for a wrongful death suit last October, partly agree that Matthew Hutchins will be joining as executive producer of the film.
The first hearing for the case is set for February 24.