Carlos Correa is still on the free agent market, as possible suitors like the Yankees, Phillies, Tigers and Rangers seem to have decided not to take him seriously this season. With less than three weeks until Opening Day, a resolution on the Correa front is likely to arrive sooner.
The incumbent Astros have yet to give up their pursuit. Houston’s initial five-year, $160 million offer for Correa at the start of the season never seemed particularly appealing to the star’s breathlessness. Ken Rosenthal by The Athletic report Earlier this week, the Astros were preparing a new offer, noting that the players at Camp Houston were excited about the possibility that the team could bring him back.
When asked about the chance to upgrade Correa again on Friday morning, Astros GM James Click replied, via Jason Bristol of KHOUG. “It’s not something we’re going to comment on one way or another,” he said before noting that recently signed belong to Niko Goodrum enhance the overall depth of the club. Houston also has veterans Aledmys Diaz and top potential customers Jeremy Peña possible options if Correa goes elsewhere. Skipper Dusty Baker called Peña a “frontrunner” among the insiders at this week’s position, via Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle.
Former Astros chief scout Mike Elias — a key factor in Houston’s decision to pick Correa first in the 2012 draft — now runs baseball operations with the Orioles. That has led to some speculation that the O-rebuilding could be included in the mix for the two-time All-Star. There hadn’t been any firm signs before that Baltimore was considering such a move, but Rosenthal wrote on Thursday night Person O could be thinking about a run at Correa “if his price drops to a level the club deems appropriate.”
That would require a change of tone from comments made by Elias earlier this week, when he said he unforeseeable Orioles signs any player to a multi-year contract. However, it made sense to make an exception for Correa. Beyond Elias’ personal familiarity with the shortcut, Correa was young enough to anchor any core that the O emerged from their rebuild. He’s only 27, and while Correa won’t single-handedly make Baltimore a contender this year, he will probably remain a stellar player throughout the 2023-24 campaigns as the O’ side looks forward to it. waiting to be competitive.
Correa to Baltimore is still a long shot, and the warning that it could ask for his asking price to drop is one worth noting. Still, Raul Ramos of Con Las Bases Llenas Linking the letter O to Correa prior to Rosenthal’s reporting, the club may even have put an offer on the table. It will certainly be clearer soon on Correa’s final destination, especially with the other star free agency option in place, Trevor’s story, reported decision coming soon.