Seven other students and a teacher were injured by gunfire and a 15-year-old suspect is in custody.
Vigils were held Tuesday night as the community, located about 42 miles north of Detroit, dealt with the wounds of a deadly shooting that left scared students to barricade themselves into classrooms, not sure if they will emerge unscathed.
Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said deputies were dispatched to the school at 12:52 p.m. Tuesday, Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said, noting that more than a hundred 911 calls had been made .
As police flooded the campus, students and staff began barricading the doors and hiding in classrooms.
“The only information I have is that he came out of the bathroom with a weapon and I don’t know where he went first,” Bouchard told reporters Tuesday, referring to the suspect.
said the police chief.
When the suspect confronted the officers, he raised his hand and they took a gun from him before detaining him.
The gun, a 9MM Sig Sauer SP2022 pistol, is loaded with seven rounds.
“He had a loaded gun and was walking down the hallway. That, I believe, interrupted what could have been seven more casualties,” Bouchard said at a news conference Tuesday night. core”.
An Oakland County Sheriff’s Office deputy was assigned to the school and that deputy helped apprehend the suspect, Oakland County Sheriff Michael McCabe said.
Investigators believe no other weapons were involved and there is no sign the suspect was wearing body armor.
McCabe said no shots were fired by law enforcement responding and the suspect was not injured.
About 25 agencies and nearly 60 ambulances attended the school Tuesday, according to John Lyman, public information officer for the Rochester Hills Fire Department.
What we know about the victims
Investigators identified the victims as 16-year-old Tate Myre, Hanna St. Julian, 14, and Madisyn Baldwin, 17.
Myre died in a patrol car when a co-pilot was trying to take him to hospital due to the “severity of his injuries,” Bouchard said.
Bouchard said eight other people – seven students and a teacher – were shot. Three people are in critical condition with gunshot wounds, including a 14-year-old girl who is on a ventilator after surgery. A 14-year-old boy is in serious condition with gunshot wounds to the jaw and head, Bouchard said. The three students are in stable condition and the teacher who was shot has been released from the hospital.
Bouchard said there were many other non-life threatening injuries people suffered when they rushed out of the school. Most were treated and released at a staging area, he said.
What we know about the suspect
David Coulter, the Oakland County executive, said the suspect, a sophomore at the school, is being held at the Oakland County Children’s Villages – a juvenile detention facility – and is on suicide watch where he is checked every 15 minutes.
“We have no incentive at this point,” McCabe said Tuesday. “We’re still investigating that.”
The suspect’s parents hired an attorney and did not allow him to speak to police, officials said.
The semi-automatic pistol recovered by law enforcement was purchased by the suspect’s father on Friday, Bouchard said.
What we know about the investigation
The scene processing at the high school is expected to last for many hours overnight, and investigators have “a large amount of video footage” to review from cameras on the campus, Bouchard said.
Two 15-round magazines were found at the scene, Bouchard said, noting that at least 12 rounds were fired.
McCabe said a search warrant was executed at the suspect’s home on Tuesday. Bouchard said authorities had seized a phone and were examining other seized items.
Investigators are also looking into a social media post apparently made by the suspect that appears to show a weapon and a target, Bouchard said. “We will dig into the social media and all of this young man’s activities.”
Bouchard said his department was not aware of any prior concerns at the school.
McCabe said the suspect could be charged as an adult, but that depends on the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office.
Prosecutor Karen D. McDonald said in a statement Tuesday her office has “initiated the process of receiving information relevant to the investigation” into the shooting.