NEW YORK – Alec Baldwin told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos in an interview that aired Thursday that he didn’t pull the trigger on the prop gun he was holding on the set of New Mexico when it exploded, killing one man. cinematographer.
“I didn’t pull the trigger,” Baldwin said. “I would never point a gun at anyone and pull the trigger on them. Never.”
This is Baldwin’s first sit-down interview since shooting October 21 on the set of the western film “Rust”. Authorities said Baldwin had been told the gun was safe to handle but continued to investigate how a direct spin ended with the weapon.
ABC released a clip Wednesday that shows Baldwin in tears while describing Halyna Hutchins, the videographer who was killed on set. Director Joel Souza was also injured.
He said in response to a question about how a live round ends on set: “I don’t know. Someone put a real bullet in a gun, a bullet wasn’t even given. is in the property.”
The interview will air as part of an hour-long special on ABC at 8 p.m. ET on Thursday and stream on Hulu later that evening.
Investigators described “some complacency” in the handling of weapons on the set of “Rust”. They said it was too early to determine whether charges would be filed, amid independent civil lawsuits related to responsibility in the deadly shooting.
ABC said a two-hour special next week will look at the investigation into the shootings more deeply.