Balenciaga is suing the production company responsible for their controversial Spring 2023 advertising campaign for at least $25 million. The company filed a lawsuit after being complained about indecent use of children in advertisements.
The lawsuit, filed by the luxury fashion designer on Friday, was initiated in New York following paperwork related to a Supreme Court ruling on child pornography identified in a in the pictures, CNN report.
Balenciaga, owned by French luxury group Kering, has filed a lawsuit against the production company North Six, Inc., as well as designer Nicholas Des Jardins and his company, whom they have hired to develop. and produced the Spring 2023 campaign, according to a court summons.
The ad campaign also features the actress Nicole Kidman and model Bella Hadid among others whose photos were staged in “office spaces in Manhattan” intended to recreate the corporate environment.
The lawsuit stems from a court paper that was included in the advertisement “Confirmed to be Illegal… Advertisement of Child Pornography”
In one particular shot, a page from the 2008 Supreme Court ruling in United States v. Williams, “confirms that the promotion of child pornography is illegal and is not protected by the right to free speech,” lies amid the mess on the table.
The company insisted it had no knowledge of the piece of paper and did not allow it to be included in the photo session, court documents claim.
the “Balenciaga” brand just did a bunch of uh… fun… for their new products recently, which included a deliberately concealed court document about ‘pornography’ virtual child porn’
ordinary things pic.twitter.com/zjMN5WhZ0s
– shoes (@shoe0nhead) November 21, 2022
“All of the items included in this shooting were provided by third parties who have confirmed in writing that these props are forged office documents,” Balenciaga said in a statement to CNN. “It turned out that they were actual legal papers, most likely from the filming of a TV series.”
The summons states the defendants “inexplicable acts and omissions that were malicious or at least extremely reckless,” and added that “members of the public, including media media, falsely and horribly linked Balenciaga to the subject of repulsion and deeply concerned about the court’s decision” as a result of the defendants’ conduct.
The clothing supplier’s court filings also state that North Six and Des Jardins are liable for “any damage caused by this false association.”
The production company stated they had no input or control over the shoot, “No evil plans”
Meanwhile, an attorney for Nicholas Des Jardins and his firm, Nicholas Des Jardins LLC, told CNN that “certainly there is no malicious plot going on. As Balenciaga knows, many boxes of documents are simply taken from a prop house as rentals.”
“Furthermore, representatives for Balenciaga were present at the shoot, overseeing it, and handling the paperwork and props,” said attorney Amelia K. Brankov’s statement, “and Des Jardins as designer. The background designer is not responsible for selecting images from the shoot.”
A representative for the production company said there was “no creative input or control over the shoot. North Six was not filmed during the final arrangement.
The company was facing widespread backlash over another advertising campaign involving BDSM slave children and teddy bears at the time of its filing in court Friday.
Last week, Shade room reports that the brand will take a stance against child abuse following recent controversies after issuing an apology.
The whole situation came to public attention last week after people started criticizing a set of strange ads, which featured children holding teddy bears that looked like they were wearing slave clothes. rate.
Frequent brand contributor Kim Kardashian said she was “shocked and outraged” by the recently pulled ad campaigns
The controversy quickly spread like wildfire; Social media users and big names like Tucker Carlson have not hesitated to criticize Balenciaga and accuse the brand of sexually abusing children.
Meanwhile, frequent brand collaborator Kim Kardashian said she’s “shocked and outraged” by Balenciaga’s recently retracted holiday advertising campaigns. Shade room previous report. Last week, the luxury retailer apologized after social media users accused it of child molestation in two recent advertising campaigns.
Before and after Balenciaga’s apology, social media users also asked Kim to speak about the campaigns. She is one of the brand’s most popular ambassadors and a mother of four to Kanye West. Last month, Balenciaga severed its partnership with Ye for unrelated reasons.
Kim broke her silence on the controversial creative vision on Sunday (November 27).
“I have been silent for the past few days, not because I am not disgusted and outraged by Balenciaga’s recent campaigns, but because I wanted the opportunity to speak with their team to understand this for myself. how could happen,” Kim said. “As a mother of four, I am shocked by the disturbing images. The safety of children must come first and any attempt to normalize child abuse of any kind will have no place in our society — period.
What made Balenciaga’s campaigns go viral?
Some of the images from Balenciaga’s holiday gifting campaign feature children with bear bags dressed in tights. While the female models appeared to be appropriately dressed, the bears wore mesh tops, necklaces, and spiked cuffs around their wrists and anklets.
Elsewhere in the photos, Balenciaga advertised holiday gifts like wine glasses, dog leashes and bowls, and what looked like a vase.
Gabriele Galimberti posed for the Holiday Toy Story campaign. He told CNN that he is “must not choose products, designs, or combinations of the same in any way.”
Another campaign, created in partnership with Adidas, used court documents related to federal child pornography laws as a prop. Unfortunately, a viral tweet by June Nicole Lapine (@shoe0onhead) Incorrect link campaigns during the first wave of backlash.