On Wednesday, at 6:30 a.m., the fire brigade received a call about a fire at 57 Walnut St., a former assisted living residence that had been vacant for a year.
According to fire officials, no injuries were reported.
“The building was vacant for over a year and there was some heavy damage like asbestos and mold inside when they closed a year ago, so I’m not sure about the damage estimate yet,” Kim Destun said. The fire chief of the St. Thomas.
In July 2021, Walnut Manor was forced to close after multiple serious public health violations were identified in an investigation conducted by the Southwest Department of Public Health.
Health violations include mold, hygiene issues, bed bugs and serious rodent infestations, which also lead to food contamination, officials concluded.
All 26 residents have been notified to vacate the premises immediately, including two staff members.
There is confusion in the updated Heritage Act that could put historic buildings in Kingston and across the province at risk
Police were called to investigate the fire.
“If you have empty buildings in your neighborhood, keep an eye on them,” adds Destun. “If you see an empty building that you know people are coming in and out, give us a call or call the fire department where you are, and we can have them secure it and make sure this doesn’t happen. out.”
© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.