According to Care4Calais, an aid group involved in the appeal, the UK government is expected to proceed on Tuesday with migrants arriving in Rwanda for processing and resettlement, after a court blocked two appeals. appeal against the controversial plan on Monday, according to Care4Calais, an aid group involved in the appeal.
The UK government in April announced the agreement with Rwanda send some asylum seekers to the African country for an initial payment of £120 million, or about $157 million.
Lord Justice Rabinder Singh of the Court of Appeal said in a statement that “applications for provisional relief in this context must be considered on an individual basis and not on a general basis”.
The call represents the first legal challenge to a controversial policy that Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s government announced in April as a means to resettle and process thousands of migrants. came to the country via the English Channel after often dangerous journeys from countries like Albania, Iraq. , Syria and Sudan. The policy will apply to those who have arrived since January.
Priti Patel, Britain’s home secretary, who traveled to Rwanda in April to announce the plan, said in a statement last week that “Rwanda is a safe country and has previously been recognized as providing a safe haven for refugees.” “We will continue to prepare for the first flight to Rwanda, along with a range of other measures to reduce small boat traffic,” she added.