OTTAWA – The Federal Court has rejected a proposal by state-owned China Mobile to stay temporarily under Ottawa’s orders that its Canadian branch be divested or canceled.
The court said in a tweet that it found the harms to the public interest caused by China Mobile International Canada’s continued operations were greater than the harms the company would suffer without the stay. .
The court has yet to release the classified reasons for its decision, following a hearing last month.
In January, the federal government notified CMI Canada of a security review, saying the business could be exploited by the Chinese state because of foreign interference and encroachment. breach of critical infrastructure.
In August, the government issued an order directing parent company China Mobile to cancel or divest its Canadian business within 90 days, despite an extension.
CMI Canada said the government had no basis to believe the company would compromise security or engage in espionage on behalf of Beijing and it wanted to suspend the federal order while full arguments were submitted. to court next year.
This Canadian Press report was first published on December 7, 2021.