Do you have Malware on your phone? Beware THIS app, it steals money; Act now
Android phone users should stay away from this PDF reader app that sends ads to make money. Know all the details about this nasty Android malware app.
You may have heard of this application or may have used a similar sounding application – a PDF reader application. We’re talking about this particular dodgy app called ‘PDF Reader – document viewer’ by Google Fairy Tales Game Store, has become an app of interest to all Android phone users. Based on network security company Malwarebytes, a newly discovered adware pops up ads on your Android smartphone even when the app is not in use. The disturbing part is that it’s already available on Google Play app market Archived from November 2021 and has over a million downloads.
Malwarebytes announced via blog that “A PDF reader found on Google Play with over one million downloads are showing strong full-screen ads, even when the app is not in use. More specifically, this reader is known as PDF reader – document viewer, package name is com.document.pdf.viewer. As a result, this aggressive behavior makes its way into the realm of adware. “
This behavior makes it difficult to identify and remove the source of the device pop-up ads that are targeted at the user. phone quite often. Every time an ad is displayed on an Android device, the fraudsters behind this app earn a small amount of money. Those small earnings can add up to a huge amount when more than a million people have downloaded.
How does this PDF reader malware application work?
When a user installs this nasty app, called “PDF reader – document viewer”, it takes several hours before it starts showing these ads. When the owner of the phone unlocks it to check, it will show up as a full-page ad. Soon, another ad in the form of a video shows up and it continues with more ads.
What Android users should do
- To avoid falling victim to such malware apps, make sure your Android software is up to date.
- Think twice before you click download on any such app even from the Google Play Store. Despite the fact that Google keeps an eye on such adware and malware, several other malicious apps can appear on the Play Store every year.
- Also, perform a manual virus scan on downloaded files before you open them.
- Read about the app developers before downloading those apps.
- Cybersecurity experts mentioned that “There are many good PDF readers on Google Play. However, this reader has some oddities that signal red flags right from the start. Google Play Store description.”