Ex-Detroit Lions Star Stanley Wilson Jr. Beaten by Officers Prior to Death, Family Claims

The family of the one-time soccer prodigy who collapsed and died while being transferred from a Los Angeles county jail to a state-run mental hospital earlier this year said on Tuesday they believed he had been abused. law enforcement officials beat before death.

In court records obtained by Sports TMZa family attorney accused Los Angeles County of “totally misrepresenting the causes and circumstances that led to Stanley Wilson Jr.’s death.”

At a news conference on Tuesday, Wilson’s father said, “We just want the truth. Burying your baby is really painful.”

Stanley Wilson Jr. played for the Detroit Lions from 2005 to 2007 before tearing his Achilles tendon, an injury that eventually cut off his career. His family describes him as a charismatic and likable man whose life has been derailed by mental illness, including what they say is chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). ), a degenerative brain disorder caused by repeated blows to the head that could only be diagnosed after his death. .

The family said Tuesday that the illness may have contributed to Wilson’s withdrawal, anxiety and depression, and led to a series of arrests that ended in August 2022, when police arrested him. him for trespassing.

John Carpenter, the Los Angeles-based attorney representing the family, explained: “Due to his mental illness, the county found him unable to appear in court, unable to assist with attorneys. He was incarcerated at the Twin Towers Correctional Facility until his death in early February while being transferred to Metropolitan State Hospital.

Wilson’s mother, Dr. D. Pulane Lucas, said county officials told her her son had fallen out of his chair during the mental health facility’s admission. The family decided to conduct a second autopsy, Carpenter said Daily Beast in mid-February, “Initial reports said ‘no doubt of foul play.’ That’s not the camp we’re in.

Now, according to Carpenter, pictures of Wilson’s body are “the complete opposite of what we’ve heard,” suggesting he may have been subjected to excessive force before his death. “There are new wounds on his forehead, which appear to have been caused by a shoe,” the attorney said, adding that Wilson was kicked or stepped on.

In addition, marks on his wrists suggest that Wilson may have been handcuffed at the time of the alleged assault, Carpenter said.

The family is seeking more than $45 million in damages related to three claims filed on behalf of Wilson’s mother, father and estate.

Source by [author_name]


News7h: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button