How are the officials trying to get together? fire in a high rise Bronx was able to kill 19 people – including nine children – believing a door may have malfunctioned when left open and allowing thick smoke to spread through the building, New York City Mayor Eric Adams said on Thursday. Two.
The fire appears to have been ignited by a space heater that officials believe has been running for days without a break. The building’s heating is up, officials told New York Times, but the occupants of an apartment may have used space heaters to add warmth.
The fire was mostly extinguished on the third floor, but thick black smoke from the initial space-heating fire then spread throughout the apartment complex, killing at least 19 residents of the apartment complex. Adams told 1010 WINS on Monday morning: “It was the smoke that took the lives of these people, not the fire itself.”
The mayor also warned that the death toll could still rise.
The Times The report said fire officials had theorized that the door of the third-floor apartment did not close behind when residents fled, causing the smoke to spread and cause many deaths. City law requires apartment doors to close automatically for fire safety, but something prevented that from happening.
“It looks like the possibility of smoke spreading was due to the opening of the door,” Adams said Good Morning America. “There may have been a maintenance issue with this door and that will be part of an ongoing investigation.” He later told CNN: “The doors in the building have self-closing mechanisms. We are just looking at that particular door.”
Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said on Sunday that another door may have also been opened from the stairs to the upper floor, sending smoke into the building. “Smoke and heat move upwards as we know it – that’s what happened here,” he said. “The smoke is spreading throughout the building, so there is a tremendous loss of life and others are fighting for their lives right here in hospitals across the Bronx.”
Officials confirmed on Monday that 13 people remained in critical condition after the fire, and Adams said many of the victims were Muslim immigrants from the West African nation of Gambia. The Gambia Youth Foundation, based next to the building where the fire broke out, has raised over $300,000 in direct relief for the families affected by the fire.
Pope Francis send his condolences for the victims of the “terrifying” fire, wrote a telegram Monday to Cardinal Timothy Dolan to offer his “sincere condolences and reassurance of his divine closeness.”
The death toll in the fire is the worst in New York City since 1990, when 87 people died in an arson attack at the Happy Land nightclub in the Bronx. “The numbers are appalling,” Adams said Monday.