FDA temporarily suspends Juul e-cigarette ban
(Washington) – The Food and Drug Administration issued an administrative stay-at-home order on Tuesday following an order issued last month against the vaping company. Juul to pull its e-cigarettes off the market.
The agency said on Twitter that the stay temporarily suspends the marketing denial order while it conducts further review, but did not rescind the order.
The FDA issued an initial order banning the sale of Juul on June 23. A day later, a federal appeals court temporarily blocked the government’s ban.
The FDA’s initial action is part of the agency’s sweeping effort to bring scientific scrutiny to the multi-billion dollar vaping industry after years of regulatory delays.
To be on the market, companies must demonstrate that their e-cigarettes are beneficial to public health. In practice, that means demonstrating that adult smokers who use them are likely to quit or reduce smoking, while adolescents are not as likely to be hooked on them.
Read more: It’s too simple to call the Juul ban a public health victory
The FDA initially said Juul’s app left regulators with important questions and didn’t include enough information to evaluate any potential health risks. Juul said it submitted enough information and data to resolve all issues raised.
A panel of three judges from the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit granted Juul’s request for custody while the court considered the case.
On Tuesday, the FDA said it had identified “there are unique scientific issues with the Juul application that warrant additional review.”
However, it said, stays and reviews do not “constitute permission to market, sell or transport Juul products.”
Other must-read stories from TIME