Christian McCaffrey simply cannot stay healthy.
The 25-year-old runner is dealing with another injury to his lower body. He injured his ankle in the first half of the Panthers’ 33-10 loss to the Dolphins. He was never declared out after flipping his ankle, but he played cautiously in the Panthers’ bold loss.
It turns out that McCaffrey’s injuries are serious. As a result, the Panthers had to place him in IR again.
McCaffrey’s latest stint at IR marks the fourth time in the last two seasons he’s made that inactive list. He’s played in just 10 games since signing a four-year, $64 million deal before the 2020 NFL season.
Here’s everything there is to know about McCaffrey’s injury and what it means for the Panthers.
DAMAGE UPDATE: Dalvin Cook
How long is Christian McCaffrey’s absence?
McCaffrey was spotted in a walking boot after the Panthers’ loss to the Dolphins. He was never left out of the match despite being injured in the first half.
Coach Matt Rhule did not have many updates on McCaffrey’s condition immediately after the game. All that is known is that McCaffrey will have an MRI scan to check on his injury on Monday.
As early as Monday morning, Rhule pointed out that he doesn’t believe McCaffrey’s injuries are serious. However, the wound was said to “swell significantly overnight,” and the MRI showed enough damage that McCaffrey would have to have an IR placed again.
Matt Rhule hopes the Panthers will get good news about Christian McCaffrey, who was never left out of Sunday’s game and tried to play through it.
I say the ankle swelled up dramatically overnight. Because of the recovery time, decided to put him in IR.
– Joe Person (@josephwoman) November 29, 2021
McCaffrey had an IR stint earlier in the season while dealing with a hamstring injury. After a player is placed in IR a second time, he is automatically disqualified for the remainder of the season. So McCaffrey will miss the remaining five Panthers regular games and any potential post-season action.
That means McCaffrey will have missed 23 games over the past two seasons while playing in just 10. In 2019, he has more than doubled that number – 2,392 yards – playing in all 16 games.
TRADE RUMORS: Why Washington is a good fit for Russell Wilson
What is Christian McCaffrey’s wound?
McCaffrey is dealing with an unspecified ankle injury. He reportedly “rolled” or “adjusted” it against the Dolphins.
McCaffrey has dealt with ankle problems before. He has missed six games in 2020 due to a high ankle sprain. It’s unclear if his current injury is similar, but a 4-6 week recovery timetable for a high ankle sprain would be consistent with his expected absence. McCaffrey.
NFL POWER RANKINGS: Patriots, 49 people rose after victory
Christian McCaffrey’s Trauma Timeline
– September 23: McCaffrey left the Panthers “Thursday Night Football” game with a hamstring injury. He is out of the game.
– October 7th: After missing the Panthers’ Week 4 loss to the Cowboys, McCaffrey says he “sure” got the chance to compete in Week 5 against the Vikings.
– October 8: McCaffrey was listed as “suspicious” in the pre-match injury report against the Panthers-Eagles.
– October 10: The Panthers officially listed McCaffrey as inactive, marking his second consecutive game missed.
– October 13th: Rhule says McCaffrey is “50-50” to take on the Vikings in Week 6. He used similar language to describe McCaffrey’s readiness last week.
Matt Rhule says Christian McCaffrey is probably 50-50 and will likely carry on through game day, that’s what he said last week…until Friday, when he listed him as suspect.
– Joe Person (@josephwoman) October 13, 2021
– October 16th: The Panthers place McCaffrey on IR after being ruled out for the third game in a row due to a hamstring injury.
– November 6th: Carolina activates McCaffrey from IR before Week 9. He’s ready to take on the Patriots.
– November 7th: McCaffrey scored 106 yards in 18 encounters with the Patriots.
– November 21: McCaffrey avoided being included in the injury report, playing and finishing 3 games in a row for the Panthers.
– November 28: During the Panthers-Dolphins game, McCaffrey flipped his ankle. He was not ruled out but played cautiously in the second half and was seen after the game in a walking boot.
– November 29: McCaffrey had an IR placed after an MRI to determine the severity of his ankle injury. His season is over, as players will be kicked out of the year when they get their second IR take.