Jerusalem is attacked for the second time after the synagogue attack that left 7 dead
Jerusalem was rocked on Saturday morning by the second shooting in less than 24 hours, after two days of increased violence in Israel and the Palestinian territories.
Israeli police say a 13-year-old resident of East Jerusalem shot a father and son near the historic Old City, and he was subsequently “disabled and wounded”. Israel’s emergency services said two victims were hospitalized with injuries on their bodies.
The shooting in the Silwan neighborhood comes just hours after a Palestinian gunman shot dead seven Israelis and wounded three others near a synagogue on the outskirts of Jerusalem on Friday, in a deadly shooting rampage. in this holy city since 2008.
The twin shootings – which came after Israel’s deadliest raid in the occupied West Bank in years and an exchange of fire between the Israeli air force and militants in Gaza – have raised fears that the invasion is not a problem. The simmering conflict between Israel and Palestine could escalate into a broader confrontation.
The outbreak of violence was the first great test for New government follows the hard line of Benjamin Netanyahuconsidered by many to be the most right-wing in Israel’s history, taking office in December with extremist nationalists in key security positions pledging to increase security and taking a tougher stance on with the Palestinians.
Police say the first shooting, which took place on Holocaust Memorial Day as worshipers were leaving a synagogue in the Jewish settlement Neve Ya’akov, was carried out by a 21-year-old resident. in East Jerusalem and their preliminary assessment was that he acted alone.
On Saturday, police arrested 42 people in connection with the shooting, including members of the gunman’s family, and said they were checking to see if they had any connection to or knowledge of. about the attack or not. They added that security in the city would be beefed up.
At a visit to the scene of the Neve Ya’akov shooting on Friday night, Mr Netanyahu described the attack as “one of the most serious we’ve known in years” and said the security cabinet will meet on Saturday.
“Our hearts go out to families,” he said. “We must act with determination and composure. I urge people not to take the law on their own.”
Yair Lapid, the former prime minister who heads the largest opposition party Yesh Atid, said the attack was “horrific and heartbreaking”.
We cannot allow terrorism to hold its head high and must respond strongly against terrorists and their senders.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for both attacks, although Palestinian militant groups have hailed the first attack. Hazem Qassem, a spokesman for Hamas, said it was “a natural response to the criminal acts of the profession”.
Tensions between Israel and Palestine have been running high for months, with 190 Palestinians and 31 Israelis killed last year amid near-nightly clashes between Israeli security forces and Palestinian militants. in the West Bank, as well as the 56-hour conflict between Israel and militants in Gaza last August. .
But in the last week, they have escalated dramatically. On Thursday, Israeli commandos killed nine Palestinians in a raid on the Jenin refugee camp targeting militants from the Palestinian Islamic Jihad in the bloodiest raid on the camp in two decades.
In response, Islamic Jihad fighters in Gaza fired rockets at Israel on Thursday night, prompting Israel to bomb targets in the coastal enclave, which has been blockaded by Israel and Egypt since the militant group’s invasion. Hamas came to power in 2007. No casualties were reported on either side.
In another incident on Friday night, three Palestinians were hospitalized after being shot by an Israeli settler near Nablus in the northern West Bank, according to Palestinian media.
The Palestinian Authority said on Thursday night that it was canceling security cooperation with Israel in response to the raid on Jenin, prompting US officials to urge them to reverse the decision.
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken is expected to travel to Israel and the West Bank next week as part of a planned visit to the region. CIA Director William Burns also visited on Friday.
A spokesman for the United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, said he condemned Friday’s shootings and was “deeply concerned” about the escalation of violence. “This is the time to exercise maximum restraint,” the spokesperson said.