Business

Johnson accused of taking down his office after new partisan claims

Labor accused Boris Johnson of bringing down the prime minister’s office after a media report said he played a key role in a Downing Street party held during coronavirus restrictions to mark the departure of one of his key advisors.

The Sunday Times citing government insiders as saying that Johnson instigated the Downing Street event to say goodbye to Lee Cain, the prime minister’s head of communications, in November 2020.

It comes when Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon was called to police after she appeared to be breaking Scotland’s coronavirus rules by not wearing a mask.

Johnson last week became the first UK prime minister to commit a criminal offense while in office after the Metropolitan Police issued a sentence against him for taking part in a Downing Street surprise birthday in June 2020 during the UK’s first Covid-19 lockdown.

Senior Tories fear Johnson might face more fines for partygate because he has attended a number of events during Covid restrictions, including a “bring your own wine” gathering at the Downing Street gardens in May 2020.

Lee Cain stepped down as Boris Johnson’s communications director in November 2020. A party to mark his departure was held in Downing Street during Covid restrictions © Getty Images

The Sunday Times reports that the event that could be the most difficult for the prime minister is the party marking Cain’s departure in November 2020.

The paper said what began as a drinking session at the press office turned into an event marking Cain’s departure after Johnson arrived and gave a brief speech.

Deputy Labor leader Angela Rayner said: “If the latest reports are true, it means that not only did the prime minister attended the parties, but he had a hand in instigating at least one of the parties. number of them. . . The prime minister has downplayed his post.”

Downing Street declined to comment. The Sunday Times reports that a Number 10 insider denied Johnson organized the event for Cain.

Johnson is preparing to make a statement from the House of Commons this week after The Met has given him a fixed penalty notice in June 2020 birthday party.

Opposition parties are discussing how they could try to secure a parliamentary vote on their claim that he had deliberately misled the Commons about the parties on lockdown. Johnson’s allies argue that he did not intentionally mislead MPs.

Caroline Lucas, the former Green party leader, said she had written to Commons Speaker Sir Lindsay Hoyle to ask him to “facilitate a process” by which MPs could hold Johnson accountable.

Meanwhile, in a video clip above TwitterSturgeon was seen without a mask in a barbershop in East Kilbride, which the leader of the Scottish National party visited while campaigning for local elections in May.

In line with coronavirus regulations in Scotland, all individuals 12 years of age and older must wear a face covering in many public places in the home. The rules will be relaxed on Monday.

Police Scotland on Sunday said they were looking into the matter. A spokesperson said: “We can confirm that we have received the complaint and are currently being evaluated.

The SNP said Sturgeon only took off his mask for a short time at the East Kilbride barber before putting it back on.

A spokesman for the SNP said: “The first minister was invited into the barbershop during an outdoor visit on the street. “Within seconds, she realized she hadn’t put the mask back on and immediately put it on.”

The Scottish Conservatives have accused Sturgeon of “hypocrisy” and demanded an apology.

Source link

news7h

News7h: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button