World

Judge in Prince Andrew case says document should be sealed

NEW YORK – A secret 2008 settlement that Prince Andrew’s attorney said would protect him against a lawsuit alleging he sexually abused an American when she was 17 should be made public. a judge said on Tuesday.

The deal was reached between Virginia Giuffre and financier Jeffrey Epstein, who committed suicide in 2019 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges in New York City. Giuffre is among many women who say Epstein sexually abused them when they were underage.

Attorney Andrew Brettler has argued that the settlement also protects Andrew from a separate claim brought by Giuffre against the prince this year.

In a brief order issued Tuesday, US District Judge Loretta Preska said that without any valid objections to Epstein’s estate, the document should be made public on or before December 22. as part of Andrew’s case.

Preska said the court questioned “whether any proper purpose would be served by continuing to keep the document’s secrecy, perhaps, the money the settlement provided for it.”

In the August lawsuit, Virginia Giuffre claimed that the prince abused her multiple times in 2001. Andrew said he had never had sex with her.

Brettler previously called the lawsuit “baseless.”

.

Source link

news7h

News7h: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button