LOS ANGELES – A lawsuit filed Wednesday alleges that Alec Baldwin recklessly opened fire when it was not required in the script when he fatally shot cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza on set. “Rust” school in New Mexico. “
“There was nothing in the script about the gun being discharged by DEFENDANT BALDWIN or by any other person,” the lawsuit from script supervisor Mamie Mitchell says.
The lawsuit is the second stemming from the shooting, with many more expected.
Like last week’s lighting director Serge Svetnoy, it was filed in Los Angeles Superior Court and named multiple defendants including Baldwin, who is both a star and a producer; David Halls, the assistant director who gave Baldwin the gun; and Hannah Gutierrez Reed, the weapons officer on set.
Mitchell’s lawsuit primarily focuses on Baldwin’s actions. It said she was standing next to Hutchins and within 1.22 meters of the actor, and was stunned when he opened fire inside the chapel on Bonanza Creek Ranch on October 21.
According to discussions before the footage was shot, it required three tight shots of Baldwin: One in his eyes, one in the blood on his shoulder, and one in his torso as he pulled the gun from his holster. leather, the lawsuit said.
According to the lawsuit, Baldwin made no pleas for Baldwin to point the gun at Hutchins and Souza, nor to shoot.
And it alleges Baldwin violated protocol by not testing guns more carefully.
Mitchell’s attorney Gloria Allred said at a news conference: “Mr Baldwin chose to play Russian roulette where he fired a gun without examining it, and without the shooter present.”
A veteran script supervisor who has worked on nearly 100 productions, Mitchell was on set for the first time since the pandemic began. According to the lawsuit, she was the first person to call 911 after the shooting.
She suffered “severe physical trauma, shock and nervous system damage”, the lawsuit said, without giving details.
Mitchell is asking for both restitution and punitive damages with an amount to be determined later.
Attorneys and other representatives for the defendants were not immediately available for comment.
Baldwin said on the October 30 video that the shooting was “one in a trillion events” and said, “We were a very, very good team to shoot a movie together and then the terrible event This horror happened.”
Mitchell’s lawsuit alleges that the person in charge of production, Gutierrez Reed, had little experience and that she was hired as one of the cost-cutting measures that proved dangerous.
It said she violated protocol by leaving guns and ammunition unattended during her lunch break.
Gutierrez Reed told authorities she did not know how a live round ended with a gun. Her attorney, Jason Bowles, said in a statement last week that “we believe this is a vandalism and that Hannah is being framed. We believe the footage was also tampered with prior to the police. come.”
Santa Fe Regional District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies said last week that investigators found no evidence of vandalism.