The Ebola outbreak between 2018 and 2020 has killed nearly 2,300 people, the second-highest number of deaths on record.
A new case of Ebola hemorrhagic fever has been confirmed in Northwestern Democratic Republic of Congo, four months after the country’s last outbreak ended.
The National Institute of Biomedical Research said on Saturday that a 31-year-old male had been discovered in the city of Mbandaka, the capital of Congo’s Equateur province.
The patient’s symptoms began on April 5, but he did not seek treatment for more than a week. The World Health Organization (WHO) said he was admitted to an Ebola treatment center on April 21 and died later that same day.
Dr Matshidiso Moeti, WHO Regional Director for Africa, said: “Time is not on our side.
“The disease started after two weeks and we were playing catch-up,” said Moeti.
WHO says containment efforts are underway in Mbandaka, a busy trading center on the banks of the Congo River, where people live in close proximity. The city has road, water and air connections with the capital Kinshasa.
Congo has seen 13 Ebola outbreaks before, and Mbandaka has faced two – in 2018 and 2020.
The Ebola outbreak between 2018 and 2020, in the eastern part of the country, has killed nearly 2,300 people, the second-highest number recorded in the history of a dengue epidemic.
The most recent outbreak, also in the east of the country, infected 11 people between October and December and killed six of them.