Icon Mercedes-AMG C63 The muscle car is about to get a seismic makeover, with the new model ditching its famed V8 engine in favor of a high-powered plug-in hybrid (PHEV) powertrain.
The new model, called the Mercedes-AMG C63 SE Performance, will hit Australian showrooms around mid-2023 in sedan form – at which point it’s sure to polarize.
A spokesperson for Mercedes-Benz Australia said: “As always, judgment should be given to the moment the vehicle has been experienced.
It will be the most powerful C63 produced, and faster than the 4.0-liter twin-turbo V8 it replaces and the naturally aspirated 6.2-liter V8 that preceded it.
As always, the latest C63 will go head-to-head with the BMW M3, Audi RS4 and Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio. But when it comes to powertrain technology, it’s an entirely different beast.
For the full picture, you should read our Angus MacKenzie in-depth section herebut here are the cliff notes Mercedes-AMG C63 SE Performance 2023:
- System outputs up to 500kW and 1020Nm
- ‘M139’ 2.0 liter four-cylinder engine
- 350kW and 545Nm, vertical mounting
- Electric boost
- Nine-speed clutch transmission
- 150kW . rear axle electric motor
- Two-speed transmission and LSD . unit
- Power Architecture 400V
- 6.1kWh battery, 89km weight, 13km . EV range
- Time 0-100km/h min 3.4 seconds
- Top speed 280km/h
- Fuel consumption 6.9L / 100km
- Curb weight 2111kg
- AMG Performance 4MATIC + all-wheel drive
- Fully variable torque distribution
- Drift mode