Ontario boosters: Open to anyone 18 and older starting Monday
Ontario is expanding eligibility for COVID-19 booster shots to anyone 18 years of age or older starting Monday and is limiting capacity in some indoor spaces as cases fluctuate. Omicron spikes in the province.
The government also announced on Wednesday that it would shorten the time needed between a person’s second dose and booster shot from six months to three months.
The government said pharmacies could also offer boosters starting December 17 to walk-in customers.
COVID-19 rapid tests will also be made available free of charge to residents at pop-up checkpoints located in high-traffic public areas, as well as at LCBO retail locations, effective immediately.
The province’s Chief Health Officer, Dr Kieran Moore, previously said the boosters would be available to anyone over the age of 18 starting January 4.
Premier Doug Ford said: “I need you to order your shots as soon as possible because we know very well that these vaccines work and boosters are the best way to prevent the worst. best,” Premier Doug Ford said Wednesday.
“Everybody has a role to play in the next phase of our provincial COVID response. It’s all done and it starts with the enhanced footage.”
SOME POWER LIMITS REMOVED
Starting December 18, Ontario will reintroduce the 50% occupancy limit on indoor entertainment venues, meeting and event spaces, and sports venues with more than 1,000 indoor capacity. people.
According to the government, this could include venues such as concerts, theaters and cinemas, racing venues, studio audiences in commercial television and film productions, museums, galleries, aquariums, zoos, science centers, landmarks, historic sites, botanical gardens and similar attractions.
It also includes casinos, bingo halls and other gaming facilities, as well as fairs, country exhibitions and festivals.
“We need to target the largest crowds in the home, where people are usually not visible,” says Ford. “I know this is going to be difficult, but it’s an important step in ensuring we slow the spread of Omicron as we urgently accelerate the boosters, because as I said earlier, all They’re all ready.”
The government said that as of December 15, there were 153 COVID-19-related patients in intensive care and there are currently around 600 beds.
The government says nearly 500 additional intensive care beds are also being made available to increase capacity if needed.
“Although cases are always expected to increase, the growing transmissibility of the Omicron variant could put additional pressure on Ontario’s hospital capacity,” Health Minister Christine Elliott said. Health Minister Christine Elliott said.
People 18 years of age and older will be eligible to schedule their booster dose appointment through Ontario’s booking portal, by calling the Provincial Immunization Contact Center (1-833-943- 3900), through indigenous-led immunization clinics, participating pharmacies, and primary care facilities.
KEY DOWN IS NOT THE SOLUTION, FORD SAYS
Ford told reporters that while “everything is on the table” of further restrictions, he doesn’t think locking doors is the solution to the rapid rise in Omicron cases.
“This is not the solution. The solution is to make sure people go out and get boosters in every corner of this province, and that’s our plan.”