Parents, many of you can imagine having a long day, trying to get your child(ren) to lie down and becoming frustrated that they won’t go to sleep. Many people have chosen to use Melatonin to help restless children fall asleep, but we are here to warn you about the dangers of sleep aids. ABC 7 Chicago reports that researchers at Children’s Hospital Michigan have noticed an increase in children’s overdoses of over-the-counter supplements.
Research shows that accidental poisoning of children from aid has increased by 530% over the past decade. This mainly occurs in children under the age of five. Last year, poison control centers in the US received more than 52,000 calls about children consuming unsafe aid. The vast majority of calls come from young children who accidentally pick up a bottle of Melatonin.
If a child receives help without a parent and becomes ill, melatonin digestive symptoms can occur, including abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting, extreme fatigue, and shortness of breath. While the number of child deaths related to melatonin overdose is low, reports reveal that studies over the past ten years have shown that two children under the age of two have died. In addition, more than 4,000 children are hospitalized and 5 need ventilators to breathe.
In the June 3 issue of ‘Weekly Report on Disease and Mortality’, a publication of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Dr Matthew Harris, an emergency room physician at Cohen Children’s Medical Center in Queens, NY spoke about the problem.
“This study is disturbing from the perspective that any drug overdose [that] 530% increase should raise some flags,” he said. Roommate, has this changed your mind about using a sleep aid?
Want updates directly in your inbox? Contact us at 917-722-8057 or Click here to join!