GEORGETOWN (CBS) – Pet owners in Massachusetts are being urged to throw away dog food linked to three salmonella cases in the state.
Two people in their 70s and a child, all from Essex County, contracted salmonella after handling “Dog Gone Treatments,” the Massachusetts Department of Public Health said Wednesday. . Multiple bags of unopened cakes purchased last week tested positive for salmonella.
Dehydrated dishes are made in Georgetown and include french fries, beef liver and fried sweet potatoes. They were sold at Essex County Co-op in Topsfield, New England Dog Biscuit Company in Salem, Gimme Chews & Moore in Haverhill and Animal Krackers in Gloucester.
“All stores have been asked to remove any existing products from their shelves and no additional products are currently in production,” DPH said.
Humans can contract salmonella from contaminated food just by touching it, the DPH notes. People should wash their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds after touching pet food.
Symptoms of Salmonella in humans include diarrhea, fever, and stomach cramps. The elderly, young children, and people with weakened immune systems may be more susceptible to severe illness.
Dogs infected with salmonella don’t always appear sick, but they can have diarrhea that’s bloody or mucusy.
Anyone concerned that their dog may have ingested contaminated food should contact their veterinarian.