Sentencing submission is expected in the Ont. Teenager pleads guilty to terrorism
Sentencing is expected to be filed today in the case of a teenager who has pleaded guilty to terrorism-related charges including possessing explosives and advising someone to detonate a bomb.
Kingston, Ont., Teen, who cannot be identified under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was 16 years old when arrested by the RCMP in January 2019 on advice from the US Federal Bureau of Investigation.
A unified statement of events said the teen unwittingly contacted an FBI undercover agent he believed to be a “lone wolf” terrorist in Virginia, and sent him instructions about How to make a pressure cooker bomb.
The statement said the teenager also encouraged the agent to plant a bomb in a public place, such as a bar, to kill “the enemies of Allah.”
No bomb was planted but the statement said a search of the youth’s home found all the materials needed to make a bomb.
In 2020, the young man pleaded guilty to facilitating a terrorist activity, possession of explosives with intent to injure or kill, act to cause an explosion, and advising others to detonate an explosive device. to cause injury or death.
He also admitted to breaching his bail conditions by not wearing a tracking bracelet.
Last year, Crown prosecutors asked the court to sentence the teenager as an adult. Meanwhile, the defense argued that a three-year prison sentence for the youth would be appropriate.
This Canadian Press report was first published on January 28, 2022.