World

Some Ontario health units introduce restrictions as COVID-19 cases increase

Two public health units introduced restrictions on Friday as Ontario reported its highest daily number of COVID-19 cases since early September.

Public Health Sudbury and Counties have restored work-from-home orders and officials in the Kingston area have limited indoor gatherings at home to 10 people.

The news comes after Health Minister Christine Elliott announced Ontario was recording 927 new COVID-19 cases and five more deaths.

This is only the second time since May 31 that daily cases have risen above 900. On that day there were 916 new cases and on September 4 there were 944 cases.

Read more:

Ontario reports 927 new COVID-19 cases, 6 more deaths

The new seven-day average for diagnoses was 711 on Friday, the highest level since September 20.

The story continues below the ad

The government has urged a regional approach to reintroduce public health measures as the fourth wave of COVID-19 flares up again, with officials saying they don’t want the entire province to back off. behind.

Sudbury area public health officials decided to take further action on Friday after noticing that infection rates remained “unacceptably high” despite previous action.

The public health unit first began reopening in early November, introducing capacity limits, requiring masks at public events held, and requiring proof of vaccinations. for youth sports.

Now, starting Monday, everyone in the area who can work from home will be required to do so.

Read more:

Ontario’s top doctor ‘did not predict’ 5 to 11-year-olds will be included in the vax proof system

“Cases continue to be reported in young people, social and workplace settings,” said Dr Penny Sutcliffe, regional health officer. “It’s hard to find an untouched context. Given the wide circulation of the virus in our community, our response also needs to be widespread.”

Meanwhile, the public health unit for the Kingston, Frontenac and Lennox & Addton areas said their new measures were based on a disproportionate number of cases of indoor transmission.

“COVID-19 cases in the KFL&A area are on the rise and we know that almost half of all cases are in families,” said Dr. Piotr Oglaza, regional health officer. “Reducing indoor gathering restrictions in private residences is prudent and necessary to prevent disease and the spread of COVID-19.”

The story continues below the ad

Earlier in the week, Timiskaming Health Unit also announced that they will be introducing some restrictions.

“We are seeing high levels of COVID-19 spreading everywhere in our county right now,” said Dr Glenn Corneil, unit medical officer.


Click to play video: 'COVID-19: Some experts are now rethinking use of plastic dividers'







COVID-19: Some experts are now reconsidering the use of plastic dividers


COVID-19: Some experts are now reconsidering the use of plastic dividers

It now requires all close contacts of people with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 to self-isolate, restoring capacity limits at restaurants, gyms and indoor facilities. another where they have been upgraded and present proof of vaccination to participate in or watch the facility indoor sports.

On Thursday, the province’s top doctor said he expects COVID-19 cases to continue to rise across the province as the cold weather subsides.

“Sadly, all models predict this will increase slowly, steadily, and increase over the coming months, including January and February,” said Dr. Kieran Moore.

The story continues below the ad

Hospital occupancy rates due to COVID-19 are also increasing, with 140 people in intensive care due to the virus as of Friday, including 86 people on ventilators.

The province said 140 people are in intensive care with critical illness related to COVID, including 86 people on ventilators.

There were six people from Saskatchewan hospitals in Ontario on Thursday, four of them in intensive care.

Of the new cases on Friday, Elliott said 494 were in people who were not fully immunized and 55 were in people with unknown vaccination status.

The province said 86% of people 12 years and older have received two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine, and children aged five to 11 will continue to receive the vaccine on Friday.

The story continues below the ad


Click to play video: 'COVID-19: Dr. Moore' does not predict 'vaccine certification will be available to children aged 5-11 in Ontario'







COVID-19: Dr Moore certifies ‘unforeseen’ vaccine to be given to children aged 5-11 in Ontario


COVID-19: Dr Moore certifies ‘unforeseen’ vaccine to be given to children aged 5-11 in Ontario

© 2021 Canadian Press

.

Source link

news7h

News7h: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button