World

South Korea reports 6 deaths after admitting COVID-19 outbreak

North Korea said on Friday six people had died and nearly 190,000 were in quarantine after a fever spread rapidly across the country in recent weeks, a day after the country first acknowledged the COVID-19 outbreak. in a large portion of the unvaccinated population.

North Korea’s official Korean Central News Agency said on Friday that more than 350,000 people have been treated for an “explosive” fever that has spread across the country since late April, and 162,200 people have recovered. It said 187,800 people were being quarantined for treatment after 18,000 new people were found with fever symptoms on Thursday alone.

It remains unclear how many cases are COVID-19 and the country may be short of testing supplies. North said one in six confirmed deaths had been infected with the omicron variant.

Experts say failing to slow the infection could have dire consequences because the country has a poor health care system and 26 million people are thought to be mostly unvaccinated.

KCNA said leader Kim Jong Un was briefed on the fever during his visit to the state’s emergency prevention and control headquarters on Thursday and criticized officials for failing to prevent “a vulnerable point”. vulnerability in the epidemic prevention system”.

He said the spread of the fever is concentrated around the capital Pyongyang and surrounding areas, and stressed the importance of isolating all working, production and residential units from each other. while providing the people with every convenience in limiting the spread of the “malicious virus”.

Source link

news7h

News7h: Update the world's latest breaking news online of the day, breaking news, politics, society today, international mainstream news .Updated news 24/7: Entertainment, Sports...at the World everyday world. Hot news, images, video clips that are updated quickly and reliably

Related Articles

Back to top button