Spanish court permits autopsy on ex-Angolan leader dos Santos | News
A law firm representing dos Santos’ daughter said she had requested her father’s body be kept in Spain for an autopsy due to alleged ‘suspicious circumstances of his death’. ‘.
A Spanish court has ruled that an autopsy was carried out on the body of former Angolan president José Eduardo dos Santos, who died in a Barcelona clinic on Friday, a spokesman for the agency said. the court said.
She said the court had accepted a family member’s request for an autopsy, which has not yet taken place, but did not provide further details.
The family law firm Carmen Varela representing dos Santos’ daughter, Tchizé dos Santos, said she had previously requested that her father’s body be kept in Spain for a full post-mortem due to its alleged identity. “suspicious circumstances of his death” without providing evidence.
According to the office of Angolan President João Lourenço, his predecessor, who resigned five years ago, died at the Teknon clinic in Barcelona, where he was being treated after a prolonged illness. He was 79 years old.
The clinic declined to comment on an autopsy request or details of his death.
Elder dos Santos has been receiving medical treatment since 2019. In June, Portuguese news agency Lusa reported he was in intensive care in Barcelonaquoted a source close to saying, because the Angolan government said the former leader’s health had deteriorated.
Tchizé and her lawyers also argued that dos Santos’ desire was to be buried in Barcelona rather than for his body to be brought back to Angola for a state funeral.
Despite being handpicked by dos Santos to succeed him, Lourenço quickly turned to investigating allegations of abuse. billions of dollars of corruption during the former presidency, often associated with the dos Santos family.
A man of few words and interviews, dos Santos never specifically responded to allegations that he allowed corruption to run rampant.