CETINJE, Montenegro –
A Montenegro man opened fire on Friday, killing 11 people on the streets of a city before being shot dead, Montenegro state television reported, citing police sources.
State broadcaster RTCG said the 34-year-old gunman wounded six others, including a policeman, in the Medovina neighborhood of Cetinje, near the former royal government headquarters. The city is 36 kilometers (22 mi) west of Podogrica, the current capital of the small Balkan nation.
The RTCG, citing witnesses, said the attacker randomly shot at people walking on the street, including children. Four of the injured were transported to a hospital in Cetinje while two others with serious injuries were sent to the Clinical Center in Podgorica, it said.
The RTCG quoted a police source as saying that the attack happened after a family argument, but did not give further details. Police have yet to make an official statement about the attack but have cordoned off the site.
Montenegro Prime Minister Dritan Abazovic wrote on his Telegram channel that there had been “an unprecedented tragedy” in Cetinje, calling on the nation to “stay in their thoughts, with the families of innocent victims, who relatives, their friends and all the people of Cetinje. “