Unexpected Hospitalization Caused by Masturbation? Are you serious?
, a man was brought to the emergency room after he suddenly experienced severe chest pain accompanied by difficulty breathing while he was lying in bed masturbating. Because of a history of mild asthma, he immediately went to Cantonal Hospital in Winterthur after feeling chest tightness.
Examining his face, doctors found his face was swollen, and heard clear cracking sounds as he inhaled and exhaled. An X-ray of the patient’s lungs shows he has a rare condition called mediastinal pneumonitis, or when air circulating through the respiratory system eventually escapes into the space in the chest between the two lungs. . The man’s airbags were also damaged and he needed high amounts of oxygen.
Pneumomediastinum can result from physical trauma to the lungs or esophagus. It can also arise spontaneously when a sudden increase in pressure in the chest cavity causes a tear in some of the pleura, allowing air to escape.
This type of injury is more likely to occur in young men, and known triggers include an acute asthma attack, strenuous exercise, or intense vomiting.
Dr Nikola Rajic and Dr Christian Schandl, who were on the author’s team, say that the condition “primarily affects young men and often follows a benign and self-limiting course.”
They said, “Specific treatment is not necessary, although supportive care and short-term monitoring for respiratory compromise are reasonable.“
This case was reported as unusual because “there are only a handful of reports of SPM related to sexual activity.” According to the authors, they were unable to find any related cases of dyspepsia.
To treat the patient’s chest pain, doctors gave him paracetamol and monitored him for two days. He was then transferred to the general department and discharged a few days later because of his rapid recovery.
In the report, the doctors noted that this case of pneumomediastinum was unusual in that the lesion was caused by masturbation, which had never been seen before. Thus, this is the first report of a young man with an unusual lung injury.