Xiaomi’s unfounded allegations of coercion, said the enforcement directorate
The Department of Enforcement on Saturday dismissed as “baseless” allegations that the claims by officials of Xiaomi India, the wholly owned subsidiary of Chinese mobile maker Xiaomi, were recorded as “coerced”, saying the allegations were an afterthought.
The federal agency has responded with some news report which says Xiaomi Alleged in a recent filing before the Karnataka High Court that its top executives were threatened with “physical and coercive violence” during their interrogation by ED investigators in Bengaluru.
The Executive Director (ED) released a statement saying it is “a professional body with a strong work ethic and no coercion or threat against company employees on any time”.
“Allegations that Xiaomi India officials’ claims were coerced by the ED are untrue and baseless.” “Officials of Xiaomi India have voluntarily rescinded their statements before the ED under FEMA in the most favorable environment under various circumstances,” the agency said.
It said the claims were dropped by them on the basis of documents and information provided by the company during the investigation.
“Their statement corroborates the written response submitted to the ED and documents on file,” the agency said.
This development comes as ED passed an order on April 29 to appropriate funds from Xiaomi India worth more than Rs. 5,551 crore for alleged violation of foreign exchange law of India (Forex Management Act).
Karnataka High Court earlier this week upheld this ED order.
The agency added that Xiaomi Global Vice President Manu Kumar Jain’s statement was recorded four times, April 13, April 14, April 21 and April 26 while that of the chief financial officer. (CFO) Sameer BS Rao was recorded six times.
Rao’s statement was recorded on March 25, April 14, April 19, April 21, April 22, and April 26.
“However, no complaints were filed by them at any point during the recording of the statements on various occasions.” “The last statement of the company’s officials was recorded on April 26, 2022, and the seizure order was passed on April 29, 2022. It seems that the charge is now being brought after a considerable period of time. think later,” it said.
The agency said Xiaomi’s allegations were “baseless and far from the truth.” Xiaomi is a domestic mobile phone dealer and distributor under the MI brand.